Because of this renewed political uproar for conservative votes, with a thinly veiled religious agenda masquerading as “it’s for the children!” reasoning, I’m reprinting my blog entry: 10 Reasons Why Gay Marriage is Wrong
10 reasons Gay Marriage is wrong:
1. Being gay is not natural. And as you know Americans have always rejected unnatural things like eyeglasses, polyester, and air conditioning.
2. Gay marriage will encourage people to be gay, in the same way that hanging around tall people will make you tall.
3. Legalizing gay marriage will open the door to all kinds of crazy behavior. People may even wish to marry their pets because, as you know, a dog has legal standing and can sign a marriage contract.
4. Straight marriage has been around a long time and hasnâ€™t changed at all; women are still property, blacks still canâ€™t marry whites, and divorce is still illegal.
5. Straight marriage will be less meaningful if gay marriage were allowed. The sanctity of Britany Spearsâ€™ 55-hour just-for-fun marriage would be destroyed.
6. Straight marriages are valid because they produce children. Gay couples, infertile couples, and old people shouldnâ€™t be allowed to marry because our orphanages arenâ€™t full yet, and the world needs more children.
7. Obviously gay parents will raise gay children, since straight parents only raise straight children.
8. Gay marriage is not supported by religion. In a theocracy like ours, the values of one religion are imposed on the entire country. Thatâ€™s why we have only one religion in America.
9. Children can never succeed without a male and a female role model at home. Thatâ€™s why we as a society expressly forbid single parents to raise children.
10. Gay marriage will change the foundation of society; we could never adapt to new social norms. Just like we havenâ€™t adapted to cars, the service-sector economy, or longer life spans.
(This has been going around as an e-mail.)
See also my previous entry: CNN.com – Bush to promote gay marriage amendment – Jun 1, 2006